Saturday, November 22, 2008

mid day hello report

so - I have attempted to say 'hello' to a few random people.

First conclusion: People are professionals at avoiding eye contact. Eye contact is a fearful encounter. I will write a chapter in my book about it, and I want to study the history of it. It is as if we behave like people can see our darkest secrets simply by looking into our eyes.

Emotional level: I am actually in a bad mood because of the experiment so far.

Highlight: Said 'hi' to one guy who was walking his dog while I was walking mine. We both walked past each other smiling, and greeted with a healthy hello. I instantly felt good.

Pressure: I was in a Coffee shop waiting for my coffee. A cute girl was waiting in line and there were about 7 other people in line. She obviously just rolled out of bed and was projecting "I just want to be left alone" I wanted to say 'hi' but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I imagined the whole place going dead silent and still if I had broken this crippling unwritten law. I tried to make eye contact, it was avoided, grabbed my coffee and left.

Summary: So far majority of 'hellos' have been unreturned or ignored, quiet simply because it is such a struggle to make eye-contact. Accepted ones make me feel good.
Stay tuned....

No comments: