Thursday, November 27, 2008

Compliments suck

Here is a unique phenomenon I have exposed about humans. Often, when we are complimented we like to follow it with a self depricating comment. not all the time, but it is something that happens so much that I am going to investigate. Here are some examples.

Ex. Conor: "Jennifer, your hair looks beautiful today"

Jen: "Thanks, yeah I decided to try and control the mess today"

This implies that she feels she is normally a mess. She is very vulnerable, and wants love. A flurry of compliments and she'll break down and cry.

Example 2

"Ken you are a great person, everyone here likes you"

Ken: "Well, for now. Hopefully I don't screw it up(laughs)"

Ken feels awkward and doesn't want to seem cocky by actually accepting a compliment. (he hates cocky people). Accepting a compliment will make him feel arrogant and concieded. Thus, he puts himself down immediately. He is the type of leader that constantly needs to be told he is doing well, because if anything goes wrong he'll cocoon and say "I always screw up anyway, what did you expect"

These need to be investigated. I had 10 minutes to blog.

Thanks for reading my blog. You're a really nice and sincere person

No comments: