Saturday, November 22, 2008

Hello report: End of Day 1

so a rough start but a good finish to day 1 of the 'hello experiment'

Summary: Said hello to a bunch of random people on the street. All where very charmed by my hellos in the afternoon. Saying hello in the morning is much tougher.

Highlight of the day: Dinner @ Jack Astor's to discuss film with brother Lyndon. (I go there a lot these days, but not the same one as I normally go to)

Here it is

Interior--Jack Astor's Bar and Grill -- Saturday night

Conor and Lyndon sit down for dinner. Right when they sit down the martyred writes the time 7:50, in crayon, on the construction paper place matt. Conor quickly takes a crayon and changes the time from 7:50 to 7:15. The waitress, Cait, stunningly beautiful, shows up 10 seconds later with menus. Conor instantly points to the time.

Conor: We have been waiting for 30 minutes!

Cait: Oh my God! (laughs) I am such an idiot.

Conor: We're totally insulted.

Cait: (playing along and laughing hard) you must want to kill me, you've been here for like 40 minutes! I'm such a jerk.

Conor: yeah well, no problem. Jerk.

Cait: (laughs)

Cait writes her name on the table

Conor: Cait? as in 'Kate'? Is that how you spell it?

Cait: Yep. Short for Caitlin (spells the rest adding the lin)

Conor: Great name.

Cait only dots one of the 'i's in her name.

Conor: not going to dot that other 'i' hun? May I?

Cait: (laughs) so sweet of you.

Conor: are you kidding, it will be my pleasure.

Conor grabs a crayon and dots the 'i' very passionately.

Conor: damn that felt good.

Cait: (practically in tears laughing so hard) can I get you some drinks.

Conor (in my head- I love you) uhh..

Lyndon: A pitcher of Canadian.

Conor: sounds good.

Cait: (laughs dying down) I'll be right back.

Cait leaves. Conor and Lyndon make eye contact.

Conor: Lyndon, I don't drink, eh.

After that the rest is history and I eventually got her phone number. BUT. I highly recommend the time change if you go to Jack Astor's. I invented it today, and I imagine it would be a great ice breaker in any situation.

All and all my theory that people want to be treated nice is supported.

Compliments always go appreciated, and it's harder to say 'no' than it is to say 'yes', even if you want to say 'no'.

2 comments:

slyblooger said...

guaranteed lyndon bangs cait

conorcasey said...

This sober thing is just temporary.

But I was worried you'd say that.