Monday, November 24, 2008

Hello experiment: 'You're beautiful"

Today was a good day for the Hello experiment. The myths surronding hellos and compliments that I listed, couldn't be farther from the truth. Everyone is dying to be talked to in this disconnected technological hurricane we live in. Just stopping and initiating conversation in a polite way (without asking for something) can make your day and someone elses.

Today I looked at a woman (mid forties) who looked like she was having a rough day. I said to her. "crummy weather", to which she, without missing a beat, replied "really crummy". It got the feeling that she had been wanting to say that all day. Right after that I told her she had a beautiful smile. She was practically going to cry ( I know this is cheesy, but it was actually rather humorous) because of the comment. It wierded me out to be honest. But it was a cool moment. (something that would be hilarious on film).


Then, slyblogger, what do you think of this one.

Int. Grocery store -- night

Conor unloads two boxes of 'cinammon toast crunch' and a bag of chips onto the check out conveyor belt from his cart. Victoria, thirties, attractive business woman type, waits in front of him with her groceries already on the belt. She has asparagus, healthy stuff, and reads an 'In touch magazine'

Conor: Your grocery selection makes me feel unhealthy.

Victoria: (laughs) Yeah well I have some junk in here. Look taco shells.

Conor: Taco shells eh? Cinammon toast crunch, jalapeno chips and coke.

Victoria: yeah, that's OK though.

Conor: I'm not ashamed. (refers to his dog food; a bag of salmon purina) My dog even eats healthier than me.

Victoria: Salmon (winks) the high life.

Conor: yep.

Victoria hands the cashier the 'In Touch' magazine to add it to her purchase.

Conor: So there is your junk. You eat healthy but you read shit.

Victoria: laughs.

Conor: I'm the other way around. I eat shit, but I only read fine literature.

Victoria: so where is your reading material?

Conor: At the library! I don't buy my books at Metro. But I do know a guy who knows the inside scoop on Brad and Angelina.

Victoria: sure you do.

Conor: Yeah, give me your number and I'll act as a middle man for you.

Victoria: I'm married.

Conor: That's awesome. So that's why you eat so well. I guess I eat like a bachelor don't I?

Victoria: I think my husband would eat like that if he didn't cook.

Conor: So I am your type. Over all this is a positive moment for me.

Victoria: (laughs) Bye.

Victoria exits.


I want to make it clear that I don't normally do stuff like this. This is an experiment in which I am just trying to be nice to people. I also plan on using these scenarios in 'scripts'.

This blog has forced me to try to do these things and they have made me a much happier person.

2 comments:

amy dawn said...

I think I would laugh like hell at your comments if you talked to me somewhere :)

slyblooger said...

instead of "give me your number and i'll be a middle man" try "if we were to exchange details i would be more than happy to act as a conduit".. see where it takes you