Monday, October 12, 2009

Text message: The unknown enigma

There is nothing more thought provoking then a text message from a phone number that you don't recognize in which the sender hasn't identified themselves with a name, or obvious piece of information. Quite often something along the lines of, "Hey, I'm in town and was wondering what you're doing?" Problem is you don't know who it is, or if you want anything to do with them. It could be the man of your dreams, or the biggest dofus you know. Nevertheless, the number isn't programmed into your phone, probably for a reason such as:

a) you deleted the number from your phone because you don't like the person.
b) you got a new phone and didn't bother bringing thier number over in the 'move'. This ultimately means you can take them or leave them.
c) you never got their number and therefore you either gave them yours or they found it from someone else. This could be someone you're genuinely interested in communicating with.

When receiveing a text message from a number that you're not familiar with, immediately a sense of superiority hits you. You feel as though you have the upper hand in the relationship. Who is this person that I clearly don't care enough about to have them in my phone? I must be better than them. After this sense of gratification hits us it immediately dissappears and quite often a sense of panic or anxiety follows. What if I actually really like this person? I'm going to look like a real asshole if I don't text them back, but I'll look like a bigger a-hole if I don't even know who this is. Or maybe it's a good thing. Maybe it will show them that I'm so important that I'm constantly changing my contact list (because it's too full...if this even makes sense) I need to find out who this is, but saying 'who is this' is a little too forward and beligerent...or is it? I'm being sincere right, or at the very least, honest. Hmmmm....quite often we try to find a clever and creative way of disguising our ignorance... here is a possible answer in which you can appear friendly and business like:

"Hey. Sorry, I just got a new phone and I'm in the process of transfering all my numbers over to this one. Who is this again?"

Take some time before sending this response. At least 10 minutes.

This is your safest bet for not offending them, however, alway expect the other person to get slightly offended by this question.

Good luck and in the future if you give someon your number make sure to also get theirs. That way you can ignore them respectfully.

No comments: