Friday, October 16, 2009

The case of the delayed response: how long is too long?

Dear Texpert,

Where to begin. I just got the first text message today, from a girl I messaged over a month ago!
A month ago, I met Sharry at a bar and got her phone number. We promised drinks the following week someday. I text her two days later, claiming it was great meeting her and I think Tuesday would be a good day next week for drinks. No word. Nothing. Not even a 'K'. I contemplated texting her again, mainly because of how intriguing and smooth our conversation had been during our encounter, but I didn't. So nothing, not a response... Tuesday passes....and 2 weeks later, one evening, I decide to send her a text message with good bait: 'Come meet me here I can get you in for free'. Again, not a word...so a bit more than a month since my initial text to sharry, I decide to delete her number from my phone, mainly just so I wouldn't drunk dial her by mistake one late night. Then out of nowhere I get a text message from a number I don't recognize

Hey. Sorry for delayed response! How have you been -Sharry.

It's been over a month. Do I let her get away with this? I can't even rememeber if I really really liked her. Thoughts textpert?

Fragile Fingers

Fragile,

Thanks for this case. It is actually a very rare situation. First, I must say it appears that you are not a texting rookie, as you haven't really broken any of the 'unwritten rules' of text messaging which most people break in the first month. My only red light is that she might have been upset with you for offer to get drinks (some women think drinks means you just want to sleep with them and an offer to eat dinner means there might be a spark in the air), but it's unlikely. your bait and switch was nicely timed. In this case I would send her a text back. You don't know Sharry all that well, except for, what you call, a great night together. She could have been dumping her boyfriend, getting over a serious personal issue, someone could have died, the list goes on. A thing to note: Time heals wounds but it also opens them. If none of the above apply, who knows... she might have looked back over her month, and rememebered that one of the hardest laughs she had was with you. Or maybe yours was one of the more interesting conversations she had lately, and she was reminded of it. Nevertheless, for some one to take that long and still text you back, it seems like they might be interested in 'sex' with you. Send her a text, playfully joking about how long it's been, and ask the same question back that she asked you. This way you're being nice, and playing the relationship at the level she has established; "a hi, how are you stage?". If she had texted something sexual, then you can play on a sexual stage. I would let her command the text relationship for the next while. This will send the message that you have moved on, and she is trying to bring you back, but you do rememeber her 'good demenour'. It will also help you save face: that way you don't look desperate.
Other than that, seems like this is the beginning of a 'fun' case.. please keep me posted on how it advances...

Textpert

No comments: