Thursday, December 18, 2008

hanging out with comedians

I spent the majority of 2009 hanging out with comedians. Improvisers, skit comedians, and comedic commerical actors in the Toronto area, many of who are associated with Second City. It was a very fun year, as many of these people are great companions and 'always down for whatever'. Not a lot of sex; with them that is. Sex with others, but not with comedy folk. We often found ourselves hitting kareoke nights or attending skit comedy shows, or just congregating on couches laughing and discussing comedy. I found myself very tired hanging out with these people. Until last week I always blamed my fatigue on the kareoke or lack of sexual prowl I would have when in comedy company. But I realized last week why I was always so tired when hanging out with a concentrated group of funny people. Here is my ephiaphy in script form that my buddy Jay helped me have.

Conor wanders the liqour store. He appears fresh and excited before a night of Christmas joy. He talks into his cell phone.

Conor: Jay, what's up man?

Jay: Conor.

Conor: Jay, yo, I'm going to a party at Sandra Sneaker's house tonight. Are you going to that.

Jay: Didn't know about it. Second City Sandra. As in Sandra and Frank?

Conor: Yeah, they are having a party. It was an open event, you can come for sure. I said I would go. Come check it out with me.

Jay: Ummm..

Conor: Come on man, I haven't seen you in so long.

Jay: Ya, I definetly want to see you man, but, to be honest I don't know if I can handle a comedy party right now. Everyone just standing around trying to be 'smart funny' and like not getting to out of hand because they want to appear smart.

Conor: (realizing and laughing) Yeah, you're right that is how it will be isn't it...?

Jay: yeah, and Sandra is in her mid to late 30's so everyone will just gather in the kitchen and, like, help do the dishes the whole night while making sophisticated ironic remarks. But like not laughing, becuase they are too busy trying to plan what they'll say next.

Conor: (laughing) Jesus, that's to a T exactly how her last party was.

Jay: You know.

Conor: It's true I want to go to a party where some shits gonna go down.

Jay: Sluts, drugs, fights.

Conor: Yeah. Shit I wish I didn't commit to it.

Jay: Well, who knows. Call me late if it sucks, and I'll call you if my plans fall through and we'll meet up late. Kind of like a plutonic booty call.

Conor: (laughs) Fu Sho. Peace brother.

Jay: Peace.

Conor grabs a six of Pab's Blue Ribbon and a Canada Dry Mickey.


I am always tired after these parties because of the mental alertness and energy exorted on trying to be clever and witty. It is less tiring to go out partying with sluts, drugs, and fights, then it is with irony, wit, and puns.

No comments: