Monday, December 1, 2008

the Art of the Houdini

Houdini: Someone who goes to parties, gets really wasted, and then just dissappears. Consistently. They do this so much that everyone assumes they are OK when they dissappear.

Why do you pull a Houdini? I think it has to do with sudden drunk urges that pop up when you're completely hammered. Like the sudden overwhelming urge to eat something. A Houdini usually drinks way too fast. They are walking around as a normal person, but then all of a sudden the alcohol hits them all at once. At this moment everything becomes a blur almost instantly and they transform into a monster. As I try to write this blog, I have difficulty, because as much as I try to rememeber what was going through my head every time I Houdinied, I can't. Everytime I did something incredibly stupid, or hurt someone's feelings while in Houdini mood, I have to take their word for it, because I don't remember doing it. So. Houdini's are instantly completely hammered, and right when this happens primitive urges take over their brains. Also, usually Houdini is so hammered that they are unaware of their surroundings. They are basically inside out. They have no new thoughts, just old ones that keep circulating through their drunk heads, and possibly rolling out of their mouths to their unawareness. They are cavemen. Hunger: get me food now. Sex: call all numbers now. Shelter: sleep now. Quite often the Houdini can just walk right out of the party because people are so into thier own drunk worlds that they don't notice. Only rarely do they have to sneak out.
example of a Houdini's I have pulled

New Years 2002: @ Lobby bar in Toronto. Open bar. I drove down to Toronto and was going to stay at a friends house. Was drinking and had a great time until I had to go to the bathroom. I remember leaving my drink on a communial table as there were no drinks allowed in the bathroom area. Black out. Woke up at home (Oakville) and my car was still in Toronto. I had a huge rip in my jacket....found out later on that I got thrown out of Lobby, slapped a few times, and ripped my own jacket. I think someone put something in my drink, or I grabbed the wrong drink, because that night was a mysterious Houdini. Primitive urge: sex=slaps. next.... fights=kicked out...finally sleep=Oakville. (might have had some food, probably did, but don't remember)

3 comments:

Kevin said...

amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

slyblooger said...

"yo grab me a beer, i gotta go to the bathroom" then "ppof, gone"

Kevin said...

is it even that long? it's more like - we just got out of the cab, we went inside, turn to ask if you want a beer and then "ppoosfffff gone" where the hell did Conor go?? pulllled a houdini.