Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The state of the world: A side effect of Society

I was creeping along with the traffic in my car this morning on my regular route listening to my Stanton Warriors CD and rapping along. There was slightly more traffic than usual as a new construction site started today and was holding up both directions in the city residential area. As I slowly drifted along behind the street car I glanced to the traffic in the opposite direction and to my total surprise I saw an old friend driving the other direction. Not a best friend but, at worst, a good aquiantance, that I haven't seen in about 3 years. He was talking on his cell phone and creeping by slowly in the other direction. I instantly rolled down my window and began waving my arms at him. He didn't notice me so I honked the horn.

'Kennedy!' I yelled.

Kennedy looked at me in the middle of his conversation and gave me a lifeless head nod. The type of head nod you give someone you see everyday and have no interest in talking to. This is a guy I have known my whole life; since I was 10. Never a falling out, never a fight. I kept waving my arms and smiling.

"Yo guy!"

Finally, as we were slowly passing each other Kennedy, rolled down his window half way. He cupped the mouthpiece of his phone.

'Work call'.

We slowly drifted past each other.

'Asshole' I quietly yelled back after we had passed each other.

I doubt he heard me. But if he did, I bet it ruined our relationship. Up until that point we were good memories of each other. Because of that, our complete memories are ruined and we are now both total assholes who hate each other.

In fact, almost instantly, I remembered all the times when I thought he was a jerk but had given him the benefit of the doubt. I rewrote these memories as if I had decided we was a jerk

No comments: